Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The first of many ramblings to come

Thoughts of a 20 year old student.

Let me first begin by stating Colossians 2:8-10 (ESV).

See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ. For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily, and you have been filled in him, who is the head of all rule and authority.

Paul, in this epistle to the church of Colosse, is concerned with the influence of gnosticism in the church. Colosse was located in a good position for trade as it was along the road from Ephesus to the Euphrates River. Also the near cities of Laodecia and Hierapolis likely increased trade connections in this area of Asia Minor. Because Colosse is located along a major trade route, the road had brought in Greco-Roman philosophy that would have influenced the church. One of these major philosophies was gnosticism. Gnosticism was a dominant belief of the people in the 2nd and 3rd centuries in which the elite, or chosen people, who would be revealed a secret and mysterious knowledge that would bring about "full" salvation for these select. The term gnosis means "knowledge" and gnostic refers to one who knows of spiritual knowledge or possessing an intellectual knowledge (which is also where we get the term agnostic for those who are unbelievers or rationalists).

There's so much that I want to say right now but I guess the writing will just have to wait to present itself on paper as I go. In verse 8 Paul is encouraging the church to not be taken captive by this philosophy that they're having to deal with. In order to fully understand how much Paul stresses the importance of his statement, we can look back to Col. 1:24-27. Paul shows us that he is rejoicing in his sufferings for Christ because of the lack of evangelism that is taking place for the sake of the Christ's body (the church). Carrying on he continues to note that he has become a servant for the church and that what God has presented to him, he must now present to the church. What has God disclosed to him and what is it that the saints must make known? It is the truth of salvation. The gift of salvation was not meant to be something that is hidden to a select group of people or those who have obtained this secret knowledge. 1:27 even emphasizes that the Gentiles must be told of this salvation for God desires his creation (Acts 9:15)! Paul goes on to say in 1:28-29 that they are teaching everyone so that they may present themselves perfect before Christ and THIS is the reason for which he labors (referring back to 1:24).

Col. 2:2-3 (ESV) Read this. "that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love, to reach all the riches of full assurance of understanding and the knowledge of God’s mystery, which is Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge." Ponder this.

This is the reason for which Paul goes through his toils and troubles. Lately I've been considering my own walk with God and critically analyzing what this would look like in my life. I've felt so burdened by Asia. I have this desire to plant seeds among the people of that continent. As I examine my heart, I wonder if these are the reasons that I do it. This is my purpose here on Earth right? To declare to the nations and ethne of the world this mystery of God (Acts 1:8). This mystery which is Christ. I feel that I can relate a lot to the struggles of the Colossians. This summer I will be exposed to foreign doctrines and philosophies. I will see what the product of secret knowledge is. However, I'm going with truth that reveals what the true God has in store for us (salvation). I will be as the gnostics were to the Colossians, although I'll have the truth whereas the gnostics did not. I will be invading what they have grown up to know as true and possibly presenting new theology. If you would please pray that I could go in humility and respect for the cultures that I will be partaking in this summer so that I may be an effective witness through a changed life.

Paul is appealing to the true knowledge that is in Christ. This is a knowledge that is commanded to be spread. That is the undertaking that Paul accomplished. Going back to the three verses that I opened this entry with, I'd like to emphasize that Christ is enough. Today I heard an interesting concept that within me there is a (and please give me a chance with this) "cup of spirituality." Think about it like this. If God is filling us up with spiritual wisdom and understanding, and we're apart of the body of Christ, then we're all connected in Him. Anyways, back to the cup. This cup contains the amount of spiritual wisdom that we allow God to fill us with. I think the more we seek, the more that God can begin to reveal these hidden mysteries to us which gives us a larger cup for him to pour into. It's like this. Say once a week I go into Starbucks on Monday and get a shot of espresso because after all, who isn't tired on Monday? It's just natural right? The purpose of the espresso is to keep me energized and filled, but only for a short period of time. After about four to six hours, sometime after lunch, I'll start to feel drained and vapid which results in me desiring sleep and not being productive. But let's say that when I get up on a monday, I brew myself a fresh pot of coffee. The aromas fill the air of the kitchen and my mouth salivates for the taste of this delicious beverage. I may even put hazelnut cream and extra sugar to dazzle my morning. The coffee sustains me well into the afternoon but, because I brewed a pot of coffee, I was able to bring some in a canteen so that I could have more later in the day. Consider Monday to be the entire week that we have. I think that too often we get spiritualized as Christians on Sunday, and Monday may even show a reflection of that but by Tuesday and Wednesday the thoughts of what God spoke to us have worn off (espresso). I think that God filling us up into a larger cup would require us to be studying him and romanced by him throughout our week. Just like the canteen would bring stimulation later in the day, so too would a focus on God throughout our week keep us sustained and ready.

That was quite a spiel but this blog is whatever is on my mind and you get the benefit of these appreciable insights. Oh yeah, if you don't know me, I'm quite sarcastic.

Anyways back to the text. Col. 2:9. I think it's intersting here how we see, in the NIV, that the "fullness of Diety lives in bodily form." Paul is speaking of Jesus here in which God dwelled in our natural space and time that we call the universe. This relates back to Col. 1:19-20 where God is "pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him." Paul then notes that through the person that God has indwelled within, he has also come to reconcile all man and all things back to himself. God is truly a God of love. He loves us SO much that he would offer a pure sacrifice in order that we may become pure and able to partake in this inheritance that he has provided for us (Revelation 22:17 comes to mind: invitation!).

Col 2:10 is where I will conclude this entry. I know I'm sorry. All power and authority has been given to Christ. He is the head of the church. He is the head over everything through his resurrection (Matthew 28:18). Christ is the head of the church. We are the body of the church. A body cannot be led or shown the way without a head, nor can a head function without a body. So too the church must function cooperatively with each other (Ephesians 4) through the obedience of God, which causes us to bear good fruit in his name. I pray that the church would function as a unit knit together with love (Col 2:2 ESV).

1 comment:

  1. After more research I've concluded that it wasn't gnosticism that was in Colossae but a pre-Gnosticism "germ" that could've started in that city which escalated and escalated to Gnosticism in the second and third centuries. What likely happened was a culture integration of Judaism into Christian doctrine and trying to blend the two together.

    ReplyDelete